A new study on the Universe has provided further evidence that dark energy constitutes a significant part of the cosmos. According to the findings, dark energy accounts for approximately 69 percent of the total density of matter and energy, leaving 31 percent for normal matter and dark matter.

Normal matter, also known as baryonic matter, includes stars, galaxies, atoms, and life, and is estimated to only represent 20 percent of the total matter. Dark matter, which consists of yet-to-be-discovered subatomic particles, makes up the remaining 80 percent. On the other hand, dark energy is a force responsible for the accelerated expansion of the Universe. Scientists have yet to determine what exactly dark energy is, but it plays a significant role in matter and energy density.

Understanding the rate of expansion of the Universe is crucial for scientists to comprehend the nature of dark energy and its impact on cosmic expansion. Determining the density of matter and energy can shed light on the future of the Universe, whether it will continue expanding indefinitely or eventually reverse and shrink in a phenomenon known as the Big Crunch.

To measure the amount of dark energy, astronomers rely on galaxy clusters. These clusters form over billions of years under the influence of gravity. By comparing the number and mass of galaxies in a cluster and conducting numerical simulations, scientists can calculate the proportions of matter and energy. The researchers used a technique called GalWeight to estimate the mass of galaxy clusters by counting the number of galaxies in each cluster. By comparing their results with simulated clusters, they determined that the Universe is composed of 31 percent matter.

This measurement closely aligns with previous efforts and other measurements of the density of matter and energy in the Universe, providing a more precise estimate. It also emphasizes the importance of cluster abundance as a technique for understanding cosmological parameters.

These findings contribute to a better understanding of dark energy and bring us closer to unraveling the mysteries of the Universe.

– The Astrophysical Journal