Rob Byrne, a man from Bishopstoke, recently had a terrifying encounter with an 11-foot python that entered his conservatory through a window. Byrne is now urging snake owners to be more responsible with their pets. He suffered minor injuries when the snake attempted to bite his arm, but his quick reactions prevented the situation from worsening.

Following the incident, the python was captured and taken to a reptile welfare center. This incident comes amidst an increase in calls to the Hampshire and Isle of Wight Fire and Rescue Service regarding snake escapes. Byrne believes that snake owners should be more aware of the potential risks and take necessary precautions to prevent such incidents.

Chris Newman, director of the National Reptile Welfare Center, highlighted the importance of responsibility when owning a snake. He emphasized that snakes are escape artists and can disappear in a matter of seconds if given the opportunity. Newman also mentioned that many terrariums are not securely constructed, making it easier for snakes to escape.

Jim Green, from the Hampshire and Isle of Wight Fire and Rescue Service, shared these concerns and stated that many snake owners struggle to provide proper care for their pets, including the cost of electricity required to heat the terrariums. He urged people to consider the financial aspect before buying a snake and to act responsibly if they cannot meet the pet’s needs.

Byrne believes that the python that attacked him likely belonged to someone, as they are not native to the country. He expressed his desire for better safety measures to be implemented to prevent such incidents from happening in the future.

In conclusion, snake owners are urged to take greater responsibility for their pets. Properly securing terrariums and being aware of the risks associated with owning snakes can help prevent escape incidents and ensure the safety of both humans and reptiles.

– Hampshire and Isle of Wight Fire and Rescue Service
– BBC South